Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Vocabulary Scavenger Hunt

Today in class we started working with Argument text. Because it's not quite as easy as just writing and explaining an opinion, we had to start with some vocabulary.


Sometimes, though, getting new vocabulary down can be tedious. Predicting definitions, looking them up, and copying them are all good things, but I wanted to plan something a little bit different.


So I racked my brain and came up with a scavenger hunt. I hid pieces of paper with definitions on them around the room and typed out two different sets of clues so not everyone had the exact same things.


Students worked in their groups to determine where each clue led them (some were pretty tough!), then did a Round Robin structure to determine who would go copy down the definition at the hiding place. They did have to leave each definition in its spot so it would be ready for the next group.

While students copied definitions, the rest of the group decoded other clues. They shared definitions and ended up with a complete vocab page!




Word got around, so my third class came in telling me "I heard we're doing something fun in here today!"

We sure are... but what's new?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment